HOME > About Us > School History
Serangoon Secondary School has a history which spans over eighty years, that is 1928 to present day.
Serangoon Secondary School started as Serangoon English School in 1928, housed in a two-storey building in Simon Road. At that time, it had only seven classes with a head-mistress and seven teachers. It was the only government co-educational school in the Crown Colony then and also a feeder school to Raffles Institution.
In 1937, three standards were added and with this, the school provided education up to Secondary Three in present-day terms. The boys and girls who successfully completed Standard Eight then went on to Raffles Institution and Raffles Girls’ School respectively.
In 1949 the school became a full school with the formation of the first School Certificate class offering education from Primary One to Cambridge School Certificate.
1957 saw the last of the primary classes and the School became a secondary school for Upper Serangoon District. In 1965, the first Pre-University class was formed and this section soon extended to include two Pre-University One classes and two Pre-University Two classes.
Serangoon English school shifted to Lowland Road in 1967 and also changed its name to Serangoon Secondary School. In 1976, owing to the establishment of Junior Colleges for Pre-University students, the Pre-University section of the school was closed.
The School has not only garnered remarkable achievements in its provision of education to those living in its neighbourhood but also produced a cabinet minister, educationalists, doctors, dental surgeons, businessmen and professionals in other fields.
In 2001, the school made yet another move to its present premises at 11 Upper Serangoon View.